Your home will always be where you are at your most comfortable and the place you depend on to keep you safe. However, safety doesn’t always only amount to locked doors and protection from the elements. It also refers to the environment within your home being healthy and clean, which is unfortunately compromised when there is mould in the home.
How do you know if your home has mould? An expert can tell you for sure, but the most common signs of mould include:
- Common allergic reactions, like excessive sneezing, runny nose and eyes, may be worse indoors than they are outdoors.
- Smelling a moldy odour in areas of your home.
- Visible mould that looks like patches of dirt but seems to spread every few days.
- Areas within your home with an excess of condensation can provide a moist environment for mould to grow.
Mould hides within your home and can be hard spot if you don’t know where to look. It tends to appear behind drywall, under tiles, window sills, and especially in damp areas or areas in which leaking or water damage has occurred.
Cleaning mould is a very delicate process to avoid any contamination and inhalation of mould spores, so it’s best to call a professional to rid your home of this contaminant.
To keep mould from forming or reoccurring, you can take a few precautions:
- If any leaks or flooding occurs, act quickly and ensure the area is properly dried and cleaned to prevent mould in the home.
- Ensure you install proper ventilation throughout your home to keep air moving and condensation formation at a minimum.
- Discard any stored materials like cardboard boxes or unnecessary carpeting in bathrooms and basements that may hold on to moisture and create a place for mould to grow in or under.
- Prevent water from entering your home at all costs! Install and maintain proper drainage systems and extensions to move any moisture or rainwater away from your home. These systems include properly functioning eavestroughs, gutters and downspouts.
Omega Homes understands that your home is your biggest investment and needs to be treated with care. As custom home builders, we are always prepared to meet every individual and unique customer need head-on and provide you with the very best solutions and service.
Don’t allow for any mould in the home! Click here to get in touch with Omega Homes and learn how we can help develop your home to healthier, happier standards.